Addgene is a thriving, non-profit organization founded in 2004 that facilitates biomedical research and discovery. Addgene assists scientists by archiving their plasmid DNA samples and distributing these samples and other research materials to researchers who need them for future experiments. Broad availability of these unique research materials promotes both the progress of research and Addgene’s mission to increase collaboration in the scientific community.
Addgene is currently seeking a Science Communications Specialist to join our growing and thriving Customer Experience team. This position will coordinate Addgene’s distinguished blog (blog.addgene.org) which is viewed over 100,000 times per month, as well as engage with scientists worldwide on Addgene’s social media platforms (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn).
Addgene is truly a special place to work. We are a dynamic and collaborative workplace, and our energetic team is dedicated to making a difference within the organization and in the larger scientific community. We support team building activities outside of work, including volunteer projects, social gatherings, and sporting events. This is a terrific opportunity to become part of an established and growing non-profit and to contribute to an increasingly important resource for the scientific community.
Addgene is looking for an energetic, detail-oriented individual with strong writing skills and experience in molecular biology to help the organization better serve scientists in the research community. As part of the Marketing & Communications Team, you will work to ensure Addgene’s audiences and customers enjoy a positive, memorable experience when interacting across our many platforms and touch points.
Blogs, Newsletters, and Website Content
- Generate new content ideas based on the needs of the scientific community and Addgene’s product launches, and manage the publication schedule of blogs, eBooks, and Newsletters, including writing, editing, and proofreading content
- Track and analyze blog data and implement strategies to improve performance and engagement of blog posts and related content
- Track and optimize email marketing metrics and manage contact databases to optimize the success of targeted outreach efforts
- Write OpEds or similar articles to promote Addgene, open science, reproducibility, and other topics of interest
- Assist in the creation and editing of strong website content on addgene.org
- Work with the Video Production Specialist with suggesting, writing, and proofreading science how-to videos and related video content
- Manage and create daily social media posts and community engagement, including but not limited to:
- Conferences and Addgene sponsored talks;
- Identifying plasmids of interest to solicit deposits;
- Document life at Addgene on social media, including organizing and posting photos.
- Work closely with the MarCom Team to create strategic social media campaigns focused on specific marketing objectives (ie new services)
- Track effectiveness of social media campaigns and daily posts
- Ensure Addgene’s brand and messaging is consistent across all channels, mediums, and materials; work with the Brand Team to implement Addgene’s Style Guide
- Assist with creating, ordering, and managing the inventory of promotional materials and graphics, including flyers, brochures, swag, etc.
Crossteam and Special Projects
- Work with other teams at Addgene on special projects (such as marketing campaigns for new products), gathering and sharing information across teams as necessary
- Attend conferences to learn about new topics, network with scientists, and promote Addgene, as needed
Candidates should be enthusiastic, self-motivated, detail-oriented, organized team members who want to be a part of Addgene’s mission. Specific qualifications include:
- PhD or equivalent in Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Cell Biology or related field required
- Solid understanding of the principles of plasmid cloning and molecular biology; antibody knowledge recommended
- Experience with social media platforms, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, and Instagram
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, specifically related to science communication
- Demonstrated ability to write scientific, educational content for a variety of knowledge levels
- Strong editing skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Able to manage multiple tasks efficiently in a fast paced environment
- Experience with general computer software including MS Office and Google
This position will work out of our Watertown, Massachusetts Headquarters. Our beautiful office space has ample parking with a free shuttle from Harvard Square and is on multiple bus lines, with the cost of public transit covered by Addgene.
In-office work for this position will resume as soon as it is deemed safe by our office re-opening plan. Initial onboarding and remote work will be considered for applicants who are able to be working within Massachusetts by their start date.
Special Application Instructions: All candidates will be asked to submit two examples of science writing with their applications.