ACES Academic Excellence Services recruits several Independent Educational Consultants to work remotely for a boutique College Admissions firm.
The college counselor assists students in grades 9-12 with all aspects of the college preparation, search, and application processes. This position provides the opportunity to counsel students and their parents, manage individual projects, and work as part of a highly motivated and dynamic team.
- Assist in all aspects of the college application process including college selection, application preparation, essay development, and preparation for early admissions or/and regular admissions deadlines.
- Ability to jump in and help with the business side of college counseling: hosting webinars, article writing, blog posts, creating eBooks/manuals, outreach, partnerships, PR.
The ideal candidate possesses the following:
- Bachelor’s degree required. Advanced degree a plus.
- A minimum of 3 years of direct experience in an undergraduate admissions office from a Top 20 US College or University.
- Strong writing/editing skills, mastery in the narrative form of writing. Essays are a huge piece of the college application; counselors must be strong writers and have the ability to guide students in telling their story. Our editing process is detailed and goes beyond adding a few commas.
- Tech savvy – Google Docs, Google Drive, Zoom required.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team. The team has group calls where counselors learn from each other and discuss strategies for our students; an openness to learn and grow is needed.
- The ability to frequently stay on top of email communication and respond to student/parent inquiries in a timely manner, weekends included. If you check email once every 2 or 3 days this is not the job for you. If you do not do email on the weekends, this is also not the job for you.
- Flexibility: nights and weekends may be required. This job has a great deal of flexibility, however, counselors must work around the student’s schedule. The busiest time is the fall/winter and the counselor must be available around the holidays.
- Strong project management/communication skills.
- Confidence, resourcefulness, accountability, and a high degree of integrity and ethics.
- The counselor must not have their own independent counseling business or work for a competitor. A non-compete must be signed prior to joining the team.
All candidates will be required to submit writing samples before being interviewed. Since a large part of this job involves essay editing, the ideal candidate will have numerous examples to share, including:
- A before/after essay edit (2-3 examples)
- A writing sample (can be a letter of recommendation you wrote for a student, blog post, newsletter, article, etc)
- Willingness to participate in webinars. We use this as a marketing tool for prospective students. Each of our webinars attracts hundreds of students. Students often request counselors based on seeing them host a webinar.
- Blog posts – writing to showcase your expertise and establish yourself as an expert. Many of our counselors not only contribute to our company blog, but also have their own column on educational sites.
- Social media marketing (Familiarity with Facebook, Instagram, Twitter)
- A can-do attitude – we are a small team and many of us wear numerous hats. A willingness to learn new things/software/processes is essential.
The best part of this job:
- Flexibility – each counselor on the team has a different student caseload. Counselors have the ability to take on more/fewer students.
- Remote – work in your pajamas.