We are seeking a coordinator to work with us full time from October 2021 through May 2022
to support the operations and communications of the spring 2022 session of the Harvard Business School-Accion Program on Strategic Leadership in Inclusive Finance. This is a full-time, temporary position on Accion’s communications team, which works to amplify Accion’s insights and accomplishments to expand the reach, quality, and affordability of financial services for low-income and underserved populations.
The Harvard Business School-Accion Program on Strategic Leadership in Inclusive finance offers leaders from around the world an opportunity to gain valuable skills, expertise, and connections that accelerate their work to help more people access high-quality financial services. Supported by Accion and Harvard Business School’s 20+ year partnership, this six-day program has supported more than 650 leaders from financial services companies, government agencies, nonprofit organizations, and knowledge institutions focused on financial inclusion.
Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of — or poorly served by — the financial sector. For nearly 60 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through our work with more than 160 partners in 55 countries. More at http://www.accion.org.
Our communications team aims to ensure Accion and our partners serve as demonstration models for the industry and catalysts for a more financially inclusive world.
Why you should consider working with us:
We demonstrate impact. Accion’s communications team shares the story of Accion’s work and expands Accion’s impact. This role would help ensure that participants of the HBS-Accion program are actively engaged in communications activities to create a well-functioning program, elevate the program’s external visibility, share the program’s insights with the entire field, and better articulate the program’s impact on financial inclusion organizations globally.
We do work that matters. Everything that we do always begins with an understanding of the real world, the change we want to see, and our theory of change. As a result, our work is not academic and abstract — it drives the real-world decision-making of donors, investors, policymakers, financial service providers, and others in the financial inclusion ecosystem. We are laser focused on ensuring that all our work advances inclusive financial systems for low-income people around the world. In this position, you will fuel this work by supporting a program that empowers effective leaders in financial inclusion whose work creates shared economic opportunity.
We get ambitious things done in a supportive environment. As a member of our team, you will have an ambitious agenda, but you’ll get plenty of support from your managers and peers. Additionally, Accion offers regular learning events, an individual professional development benefit, peer brainstorm and review opportunities, as well as opportunities to collaborate with leaders in our field.
We appreciate each other as people. We know that to grow we need to surround ourselves with people who have had different experiences and backgrounds to ensure creativity of thought and constant learning. We celebrate creativity and learn from our mistakes. In this role, your voice would be heard and valued as part of a collaborative and innovative team that welcomes and acts on new ideas.
We are part of a powerful network. Since 1961, Accion has helped revolutionized financial services for low-income people, including creating the world’s first regulated, for-profit bank for the poor (BancoSol), being a leading seed-stage investor for fintech for inclusion, and creating the world’s first global fintech fund for the underserved. In the United States, Accion Opportunity Fund is the leading non-profit lender for underserved small businesses.
The coordinator will support the core functions of the HBS-Accion program, ensuring that the program operates smoothly and that participants are well informed and actively engaged. This includes:
Supporting communications activities
- Assist with the production of communications products surrounding the program, including emails to participants, articles about the program, and potential videos or podcast episodes
- Coordinate the program’s leaders and participants to ensure active engagement with communications and promotional activities
- Support other communications activities as directed
Processing all incoming program applications
- Manage the acceptance and payment process; maintain all application details in an up-to-date database.
- Confirm receipt of all applications and manage all program inquiries from applicants
- Maintain list of accepted/rejected/waitlist participants
- Track program acceptances and fill free spaces as necessary; track deposits and payments for program
- Work with HBS Executive Education team to ensure that necessary visa letters are sent out in a timely fashion.
Supporting the distribution of scholarships
- Process scholarship applications
- Work with the accounting department to generate and amend invoices
- Manage communication with scholarship recipients
- Maintain an up-to date status of final participants and send regular communications to participants
- Assemble a demographical database of all participants for program
- Work with HBS Executive Education team to finalize pre-program preparations
- Full-time availability from October 2021 through May 2022
- Bachelor’s degree required
- One year of experience with data and correspondence management is helpful
- Experience with Salesforce, or equivalent CRM is strongly preferred
- Strong attention to detail and organizational skills; ability to correspond with applicants in a professional manner
- Ability to work as a team member, as well as independently
- Excellent at multi-tasking with a positive, can-do attitude
- Spanish language skills a plus
- Interested in our mission and working globally
- Willingness to embody our values of Excellence, Respect, and Passion for Social Change
- Interested in our mission and working globally.
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect and passion for social change.
- Excellence: Accion staff should always put forth their best effort in all activities, strive for high quality of collective and individual performance; and demonstrate honesty and integrity at all times while in the workplace and while working on behalf of the organization.
- Respect: Accion staff should value one another’s roles and responsibilities as much as their own, be encouraging, and value the diverse and unique perspectives of colleagues. They should honor obligations and commitments to each other and to external partners.
- Passion for Social Change: Accion staff should be committed to making a difference in the lives of those less fortunate, value the greater good of the organization over personal gain, and promote a productive workplace by acknowledging the accomplishments of others.