AbbVie’s mission is to discover and deliver innovative medicines that solve serious health issues today and address the medical challenges of tomorrow. We strive to have a remarkable impact on people’s lives across several key therapeutic areas: immunology, oncology, neuroscience, eye care, virology, women’s health, and gastroenterology, in addition to products and services across its Allergan Aesthetics portfolio. For more information about AbbVie, please visit us at www.abbvie.com. Follow @abbvie on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, and LinkedIn.
DMPK-BA In Vitro ADME (Transporter-IVIVE) Internship Overview
Envision spending your summer working with energetic colleagues and inspirational leaders, all while gaining world-class experience in one of the most dynamic organizations in the pharmaceutical industry. This is a reality for AbbVie’s Experiential Interns.
The DMPK-BA group supports Discovery and Development Projects by generating in vitro ADME data, pharmacokinetics characterization, prediction of human efficacious dose/pk and drug-drug interactions (DDI), and in vitro to in vivo extrapolations for clinical candidates. DMPK-BA works very closely with other disciplines (medicinal chemistry, pharmaceutical sciences, pharmacology, toxicology etc.) to conduct preclinical studies, support clinical evaluation and contribute to IND and NDA filings.
The DMPK-BA In Vitro ADME Internship will focus on in-house validation of uptake transporter assay for screening compounds in Discovery. The Intern will gain hands-on experience in the design and conduct of experimental research projects, data analysis, and presentation of key scientific findings. The Intern will also gain insight into research approaches related to early drug disposition estimation, support first-in-human study design, and experience the rich culture of our organization.
Key responsibilities include:
- Mammalian cell culture
- Hepatocyte uptake
- Uptake transporter substrate
- Uptake transporter inhibition
- Uptake transporter kinetics
- Currently enrolled in university, pursuing a Master’s, PhD, or PharmD in Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmacology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, Molecular Biology, or other related field
- Must be enrolled in university during the internship period
- Expected graduation date between August 2023 – December 2025
- Strong understanding and/or experience with LC-MS/MS based bioanalytical platform
- Knowledge in ADME and uptake transporters
- Experience with mammalian cell works, enzyme kinetics
- Data analysis software skills (SigmaPlot, WinNonlin, Simcyp)
- Strong self-motivation, organization, and teamwork skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Benefits and Amenities
- Competitive pay
- Travel, transportation, and lodging support for eligible students
- Break rooms stocked with complimentary coffee, tea, beverages, snacks, and cold breakfast items
- Onsite café and fitness center
- Real-time experience in a state-of-art laboratory and opportunity to work with highly experienced scientists
Equal Employment Opportunity
At AbbVie, we value bringing together individuals from diverse backgrounds to develop new and innovative solutions for patients. As an equal opportunity employer, we do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy), physical or mental disability, medical condition, genetic information gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other legally protected characteristic.