4D Molecular Therapeutics, Inc. (“4DMT”) is a clinical-stage gene therapy company pioneering the development of product candidates using targeted and evolved AAV vectors. 4DMT seeks to unlock the full potential of gene therapy using its platform, Therapeutic Vector Evolution, which combines the power of directed evolution with approximately one billion synthetic capsid sequences to invent evolved vectors for use in targeted gene therapy products. The company is initially focused in three therapeutic areas: ophthalmology, cardiology, and pulmonology. The 4DMT targeted and evolved vectors are invented with the goal of being delivered through clinically routine, well-tolerated and minimally invasive routes of administration, transducing diseased cells in target tissues efficiently, having reduced immunogenicity and, where relevant, having resistance to pre-existing antibodies. 4DMT is currently conducting three clinical trials: 4D-125 is in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial for XLRP, 4D-110 is in a Phase 1 clinical trial for choroideremia and 4D-310 is in a Phase 1/2 clinical trial for Fabry disease.
4DMT is focused on attracting and retaining the best people in the industry who identify with our mission and innovative results-driven approach. We offer an inspiring and collaborative environment that encourages individual contributions, recognizes performance in multiple ways, offers competitive salary and benefits, and provides challenging opportunities for career development. 4D Molecular Therapeutics is located in Emeryville, CA.
This role supports Research and Development at 4DMT. You will report to the Associate Director of Vector and Product Development and work in collaboration with research associates and scientists on the team and within the larger R&D group to maintain and facilitate research efficiency and productivity. This person will aid both in everyday duties such as ordering and receiving materials the lab needs on a regular basis and performing basic cell and molecular biology techniques to advance a wide range of preclinical projects. They will play an integral part in novel therapeutic development for a range of disease targets. We are looking for a professional who has a growth mindset and is looking to join a fast-paced team and make a real impact.
This is a contract position.
- Lab Administration: 60%
- Creating, improving, and implementing systems around all aspects of lab communication and inventory
- Proactively identify issues that may or will impact lab usage
- Maintain and monitor research equipment
- Order and receive all common lab supplies and keep up to date inventories
- Lab Responsibilities and Communication: 40%
- Support quality control of plasmids
- Amplify and purify DNA plasmids
- Maintain working stocks of various molecular biology reagents
- Support the design and construction of AAV genomic DNA cassettes through molecular DNA cloning techniques
- Data interpretation, analysis, and presentation. Detailed record-keeping in an electronic lab notebook
- Contribute scientific ideas and knowledge in departmental and cross-functional team meetings
- Communicate effectively with management to achieve departmental goals
- Other duties as assigned, nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time
- BS in biology, biotechnology, microbiology, biochemistry, life sciences, or related field
- 1+ years of experience in a similar role preferred
- Demonstrate understanding of laboratory operations in a research laboratory
- Prior experience with similar techniques and responsibilities in an academic or industry setting is preferred
- Strong organizational and communication skills
- Inventory tracking
- Molecular DNA cloning
- PCR DNA amplification and isolation techniques
- Cell Culture desired
- Gel electrophoresis and DNA purification
- ELISA/Western blot analysis experience desired
- Sequencing sample preparation, analysis, and plasmid map design experience desired
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to communicate efficiently, adapt, and work within a team
- Physical Requirements of the Role:
- In lab and lab support activities may require occasional maneuvering of items of 25 lbs. during operations and/or storage of consumables.
- Prolonged periods of standing or sitting at the laboratory bench.
- Must be willing to conform to the safety and social distancing practices established by 4DMT while on-site (4-5 days/week).
- During COVID-19, this person will need to be in the lab up to five days a week and adhere to the 4DMT Covid protocols and policy.
4DMT provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, disability, genetic information, marital status, status as a covered veteran and any other category protected under applicable federal, state, provincial and local laws.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities