Hiring International Graduates

While many employers are interested in hiring MIT graduates from outside the U.S., securing work visas for such candidates can appear daunting. The resources below are designed to provide you with an overview of this process.

H-1B Visas

The most commonly sought-after visa for companies looking to hire international graduates is the H-1B visa. H-1B visas allow employers to hire foreign workers in specialty occupations on a temporary basis. According to the United States Department of Labor, a specialty occupation requires a bachelor’s degree or its equivalent, as well as distinctive knowledge in a particular field.

Alternatives to the traditional H-1B visa include:

  • The H1-B1 Visa for citizens of Chile and Singapore
  • The E3 Visa for citizens of Australia
  • The TN Visa for citizens of Canada and Mexico
  • The O-1 Visa for individuals with extraordinary ability in their field
  • The F-1 OPT Visa for current students and recent graduates

Resources for Companies Looking to Hire International Students

United States Department of Labor

The US Department of Labor provides information on hiring foreign workers, as well as an overview of specialty, or professional, visas. Information on prevailing wages can also be found on their website.  Within the Department of Labor, the Office of Foreign Labor Certification provides annual reports on the jobs for which employers have secured foreign workers.

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS)

USCIS provides information on visas for temporary employees, as well as permanent workers

American Immigration Lawyers Association

A database of immigration lawyers.

H-1B Visa Salary Database

MIT International Students Office (ISO)

The ISO provides information on hiring current students with F-1 OPT Visas for optional practical training.

MIT International Scholar’s Office (ISchO)

ISchO provides information on visa types for students and scholars, including nonimmigrant and immigrant work visas.