This summer, Career Advising and Professional Development will help you prepare for your upcoming academic job search. When tenure track faculty jobs post this fall, you’ll be ready! Join us as we discuss the application process and consider the documents you’ll need. We’ll even provide some hands-on opportunities to review your documents and ask questions of experts from the MIT community.
You’ll find the latest updates on upcoming workshops in your CAPD Newsletters or you can always check the CAPD Events page.
- “Faculty Job Search Essentials: Overview, CVs, and Cover Letters”
- Wednesday, June 8, 3:00-4:30 PM ET
- Description: Are you interested in applying for a faculty position this fall or in the future? Join this workshop to learn about the academic job search process, including: an overview of the search timeline and expectations, understanding different position and institution types, and preparing your CV and cover letter.
- “Refining the Academic CV for Faculty Job Applications: Hands-On Workshop”
- Tuesday, June 14, 12:00-1:30 PM ET
- Description: How can anyone summarize their entire academic experience in just a few pages of text? Do you really need to include that terrible summer research internship you had in 2014? You might have more than a few questions like this, and CAPD is here to help you think through some answers. Join this innovative three-part workshop to learn more about the academic CV genre. We’ll look at and critique examples, and there will be plenty of time for individual questions.
- “Faculty Job Search Essentials: Research, Teaching and Diversity Statements”
- Wednesday, June 22, 3:00-4:30 PM ET
- Description: This workshop will help you get started on preparing your faculty application materials. We’ll go over advice and examples on how to write compelling research, teaching, and diversity statements.
- “Faculty Job Search Deep Dive: Effective & Authentic Diversity Statements”
- Tuesday, July 12, 12:00-1:30 PM ET
- Description: What makes a diversity statement successful? Hear from Assistant Dean Kuheli Dutt on how to best craft a compelling diversity statement. Get an expert perspective on how to approach the statement and strategies to participate in authentic experiences that show commitment to diversity.
- “Faculty Job Search Deep Dive: Writing the Teaching Statement”
- Wednesday, July 20, 3:00-4:30 PM ET
- Description: Coming Soon!
- Faculty Job Search Deep Dive: STEM Research Statements Faculty Panel”
- Thursday, August 4, 2:30-4:00 PM ET
- Description: What makes a STEM research statement successful? Hear from recent MIT alumni and current MIT faculty about their experience writing and reading research statements. Learn what to include and what you can leave out. Let the experts take on your questions. Open to MIT Graduate students, Post Docs and Alumni.
- “Faculty Job Search Deep Dive: SHASS Research Statements Faculty Panel”
- Thursday, August 11, 2:30-4:00 PM ET
- Description: What makes a research statement successful? Hear from SHASS faculty as well as MIT graduate alumni who have recently found success on the academic job market. Learn about their experiences writing research statements and/or evaluating them as members of a search committee. Get an expert perspective on mistakes to avoid, where to put your focus, and what you can leave out.