Career Advising and Professional Development will help you prepare for your upcoming academic job search. When tenure track faculty jobs post this fall, you’ll be ready! Join us as we discuss the application process and consider the documents you’ll need. We’ll even provide some hands-on opportunities to review your documents and ask questions of experts from the MIT community.
You’ll find the latest updates on upcoming workshops in your CAPD Newsletters or on the CAPD Events page.
- “Refining the Academic Cover Letter for Faculty Job Applications: Hands-On Workshop”
- Tuesday, September 20, 12:00-1:30 PM ET
- Description: Academic cover letters for faculty job applications are a little bit different than your typical industry cover letter. Join us to learn more about this specific document, what it should include, and how you can use it to make an impact. In this workshop, we will go over the document and its typical format, discuss strategies to highlight your skills and accomplishments, and review some examples and address individual questions. To make the most of this workshop, please consider bringing your own academic cover letter draft to share and gather feedback from the group.
- “Faculty Job Search Essentials: Interviewing and Negotiating Offers”
- Wednesday, October 12, 3:00-4:30 PM ET
- Description: This workshop will help you prepare for the faculty interview process. Learn what to expect for both first-round screening interviews (phone or video), and second-round in-depth interviews (campus visits or virtual). Get advice on the different components of the interview process, including presentations you may be asked to prepare (research talk, chalk talk, teaching demo), and meetings with faculty and students. We will also cover what to consider when assessing and negotiating faculty offers.
Events Coming Soon
- “Path of Professorship”
- Friday, November 18-Sunday, November 20